Skip to main content



Frequently Asked Questions


  • Extension Bookstore FAQs

    What are Extension Marketing funds and how do I use them?

    Extension Marketing funds are monies provided annually by the Office of the Dean for Extension and allotted to Extension districts and counties.  These funds can be used to purchase marketing materials, publications, printed EDIS documents, business cards, stationery, promotional signs, and more through UF/IFAS Communications and the UF/IFAS Extension Bookstore. 

    To check your balance, contact your DED assistant or Hope Norman at IFAS Communications.

    To place an order with these funds, complete the EDIS Marketing Fund Order Form found at the IFAS Branding Center.  Make sure to indicate whether the items need to be shipped or will be picked up.  (Shipping fee can also be charged to the Extension Marketing funds.)  Submit this form via email or fax (352.392.7902) to Hope Norman

    If you need help finding pricing and availability for publications or logo items, contact the UF/IFAS Extension Bookstore by email or call 800-226-1764.

    Are there any marketing materials available to borrow for special events?

    Yes, UF/IFAS Communications offers a lending library of banners, displays, and backdrops that you can request for your event!  You can find pictures of these displays under Display Reservations on the IFAS Branding Center.

    Currently, you can request displays by contacting the IFAS Extension Bookstore by email or by calling 800-226-1764.  Please let us know your county or department, the displays you want, and the approximate pick-up and return dates.  The displays can be picked up and returned to the Bookstore.  Shipping can be arranged for a fee, but keep in mind that many of these displays are quite large and would be expensive to ship!

    I have an awesome idea for a poster/publication/DVD – who should I contact?

    We are interested in hearing your publication ideas!  If you have an original publication idea, please contact our for sales editor, Darryl Palmer.    

    You can see an overview of the for-sale publishing process by viewing our webinar (on YouTube) Revenue Enhancement through Publishing with the UF/IFAS Extension Bookstore.

    If you have a recommendation for a title already on the market that you feel should be carried by the IFAS Extension Bookstore, please contact Sarah E. Hensley by email or call 800-226-1764.

    How do I make my UF/IFAS Extension Bookstore web account tax exempt?

    Please create your online account at, then contact us at 800-226-1764 or BEFORE placing an order so that we can make your account tax exempt.  We will need the name on your account, your email address, and a copy of your tax exempt certificate. 

    If you already completed your order without this step and need a refund for the tax amount, please contact Sarah E. Hensley to request a tax refund. 


    How can I submit an article for publication on EDIS/Ask IFAS?

    All articles on the Ask IFAS site are written by or in collaboration with UF/IFAS experts and go through IFAS peer-review prior to publication. For information on this process, see the ICS PUBLICATION EDITING (EDIS) page for detailed information for authors.

    We do not publish unsolicited material from external content creators.

    Can I get permission to use EDIS/Ask IFAS content?

    As described in our copyright statement, UF/IFAS holds copyright for content on the EDIS/Ask IFAS website, except as otherwise indicated. For permission requests, email

    How do I get an Ask IFAS Expert page or request changes to my page?

    Contact In most cases you should have an IFAS directory listing first. 

    I am looking for an old publication, can you help?

    Here are some ways to find old EDIS publications:

    If you still cannot find the publication, contact 

  • Graphics FAQs

    Can you make program logos more readily available for download in a central place on the branding site?

    This decision is up to the individual programs. Most programs have their logos available directly from the program sites. Not having it publicly available on the branding site helps prevent unofficial use.

    Can you create different sized logos (smaller, medium, and large) so there is no distortion or pixilation when resizing?

    The EPS versions of the IFAS logos on our branding site can be any size without distortion or pixilation. If you have a specific size need, contact Tracy Bryant to discuss your request.

    How much lead time does Graphics need to get a design/layout/print job done?

    Lead time varies. Add 7-10 business days if printing is needed.

    • Small – Flyer/Poster – 2-3 weeks.
    • Medium – Banner stand/Booklet with 4-20 pages 3-4 weeks.
    • Large – Contact Tracy Bryant to discuss project needs.
    • Illustrations - Contact Tracy Bryant to discuss project needs.

    How do I tell if a photo is high enough resolution?

    View our Image Resolution Table to learn how to get image resolution.

  • Media Relations FAQs

    How do I get on the faculty expert list? I want to be available for media contact.

    To create a UF/IFAS Experts profile, visit,

    To update your UF/IFAS Experts profile, visit

    When should I inform UF/IFAS Communications about published research?

    As soon as the research is accepted for publication, please contact Chrs Vivian.

  • Photography FAQs

    Can you make a video in addition to providing still photography service?

    Technically yes; our stills cameras can create high-quality video in 1080p high-definition resolution, and we can sometimes handle a collection of clips for social media, but we send most requests for videos, especially larger projects with a structured plan, to ICS video.

    Can you shoot photos so that they fit in a website banner and can be used as stand-alone photos with a traditional or regular crop dimension?

    Yes, if we know the dimensions before we shoot. Web imagery is frequently squeezed onto narrow, horizontal banners. If we know ahead of time we’re making a photo for a banner, we can plan around the 3:2 frame so that the final image will crop suitably to a banner shape.

    Can I get access to the images you shot for a particular event or assignment?

    Final images for each shoot are made available as edited and color-toned high-resolution jpeg files. To access the images, email our IFAS photography office and specify the event and the date it took place. We’ll email you a link to an online gallery and a download password exclusive to that assignment’s photos with full instructions on obtaining the image files.

    Are there more images from a shoot or portrait session than the ones I see in the gallery, and can I access those?

    All available images are in the gallery. We edit the best images to jpegs and permanently delete the rest.

    I tried to download high-resolution image files from the IFAS photo database, but I wasn’t able to. How can I get access to them?

    If you do not have access to download photos directly, please use the request feature to ask for the images. Someone within IFAS Photography will fulfill your request promptly.

    Do you offer photography instruction courses?

    Yes, our office has produced three online webinars covering the basics of photography, using on- and off-camera flash, and digital storytelling through imagery. View those webinars any time by accessing them at our online branding center here, or by searching for “IFAS Communications webinars” and then following the links until you find the one you’re looking for. We will be producing more webinars, and, if given enough lead time, we can sometimes offer variations of these courses in real time to a class of students.

    How do I photograph people with darker skin tones and not have them turn out too dark?

    Digital image sensors can’t capture the dynamic range that our eye sees, so if the background in a shot is much brighter than the human subject, the camera will automatically expose for the highlights, or brighter tones, because it’s seeing more of those in the image frame before you take the shot. 

    To compensate, you can use exposure compensation, typically a dial or a button on the camera with a scale that goes from -2 up to +2, with a 0 in the middle. If you notice when you review a photo on the LCD that the subject is too dark, you can simply turn that dial into the positive side of the scale and then shoot again. Alternatively, you could choose a similarly colored background to reduce the contrast, or you could zoom in with your lens or simply move closer to your subject to eliminate most of the background in the image.

    What type of camera should I buy?

    Buy the camera that best meets your imagery needs. If you need to take wide-angle landscapes or telephoto images of wildlife, or if you will encounter settings with poor lighting, then a DSLR camera system and a variety of lenses might be the best choice. If your photographs need to be of high resolution and high quality but you won’t be photographing wildlife or routinely photographing in poorly lit environments, then an enthusiast point-and-shoot model camera might be the perfect tool for the job. Finally, if you simply need serviceable imagery of subjects in everyday settings, then your smart phone camera is usually suitable, even for limited professional applications. The old saying is right: the best camera is the one you have on you. An expensive but cumbersome camera won’t do you any good if you don’t have it with you when you need it.

  • Social Media FAQs

    How do I get an official social media account?

    Please follow these guidelines to have an official social media account.

    How do I create a social media and/or blog audience following?

    When just starting a new social media account or blog, you should use all other channels of communication at your disposal to build a following. If you’re trying to garner followers on social media, add a link to your social media account in your email signature. If you have access to a mailing list, send out an announcement about your new account. When posting on the account itself, tag related accounts who might be interested in sharing what you’re posting.

    Building a following around your blog is similar. Share your posts on whatever social media accounts you have access to. Send out an email announcement whenever you have a new post. Put a link to your author page in your email signature. Another facet of building a following around your blog is search engine optimization, which makes it more likely for potential readers to find your blog on a search engine. See the first part of this webinar on SEO and this page from Yoast SEO.

  • Video FAQs

    I am thinking about purchasing a video camera to produce content for social media. Any suggestions for a camera?

    There are many cameras to choose from. A popular format is the DSLR camera which can record photographs and video. You can even consider using your mobile phone, especially if the video clip is really short. (If using your cell phone, make sure you record holding the phone length-wise and not the tall or “selfie” mode.) And if interviewing or recording someone talking on-camera, make sure you get really close to the person speaking, no less than say, 3-4 feet maximum. Good quality audio is important! Another option is an iPad, which has been used as part of a pilot program through our office. For more information about recording good quality video on phones and mobile devices, please feel free to view: Using Mobile Devices for Video Production.

    Can PowerPoint be used to make videos?

    Absolutely! By combining photos with a little bit of text and music, you can make an animated slide show that can be readily exported to video and uploaded to social media like Facebook, Instagram, etc. These types of shows can be used to document or create promotional videos to expand awareness! To give you an idea of how to make your own production, check out this tutorial: Creating a PowerPoint-to-Video.

    What about music for my videos? Can I use popular music if it’s for an educational video?

    It is prohibited to use any music you do not have permission to use--including for educational programming. There are some free resources on the web, like Purple-Planet or Incompetech, who understandably require that you provide credit when using their music.

  • Web FAQs

    What web content management system does UF/IFAS use?

    TERMINALFOUR (T4). Go here for details.

    Who pays for domains?

    UF/IFAS domain names are free, but must meet the UF/IFAS domain name policy prior to creation. You can go here to request a domain name. For faculty profile or lab pages the following domain name format is permissible and requires no registration with UF/IFAS Web Services (e.g., UF/IFAS does not fund vanity web addresses such as or UF/IFAS does not generally create sites such as

    What are faculty options for creating and maintaining a research lab website?

    Choose a faculty lab website template option. a template and UF/IFAS Web Services will contact you. Once the faculty template of choice is copied by UF/IFAS Web Services to the main unit's TERMINALFOUR (T4) space, then the faculty member can gain access to the web template to add content and make updates. TERMINALFOUR (T4) training is required prior to accessing T4 and making updates. Please note, most UF/IFAS websites have a Primary Web Coordinator who is the main T4 Moderator. The T4 Moderator in each unit can help faculty members develop and maintain their websites.

    Are faculty lab websites a departmental issue?

    Yes. Faculty lab websites are considered sub-sites under the main REC, department or other UF/IFAS main website. Some examples of subsites and names are ( or (

  • Do you have a question not covered above?

Copyright law protects the owner of creative materials from unauthorized use of his or her work. U.S. copyright laws protect literary works, musical or sound recordings, and pictorial or graphical designs. Prior to using any creative works that do not belong to the University of Florida, please make sure you have the proper license and/or permission from the owner of those works.