If you are interested in creating a social media account, it is strongly recommended that you contact the social media team. All accounts should follow the standards and policies below.
Policies and Standards
All sites with UF content are required to be in compliance with UF social media policies: Social Media Use, Guidelines and Policy Implications.
More guidelines are also found in University Relations Branding Guidelines for social media accounts.
Approval and Registration
"Authorization to present a social media account as an official university activity must come from the vice president with jurisdiction over one’s unit as well as the vice president for University Relations or his/her designee."
When you meet the requirements in the checklist, e-mail your social media account request to firstname.lastname@example.org and include:
- A description of the account
- Your overall plan for the account
- Contact information for the account manager(s)
Once you have been approved by ICS, you're ready to register on the official UF social media account directory.
Even after you have been granted IFAS approval, University Relations may require additional changes to grant their approval.
University of Florida Logo
The University of Florida logo is required on all UF communications including social media. UF trademarks cannot be combined with other graphic elements, logos, type or stylized backgrounds, and must be a minimum size for clear readership.
Please use IFAS social media avatar templates to design your profile picture for social media platforms.
UF athletic logo, trademark, mascot and name are only authorized for athletic sites with prior approval from the UAA licensing department.
Creating An Account
- Use your unit's service e-mail account to sign-up. (ex: email@example.com)
- We recommend changing existing social media accounts to also use service e-mail addresses for administrator permissions.
This allows continuous access and control of the social media account by the office in the event of staff changes.
For help creating or getting access to a service account, contact our office.
- Have at least two administrators assigned, even if only one person is managing the account.
ICS can offer training for UF/IFAS units on setting up a social media account, effective use of social media, and best practices.
If you have questions or to set up a training session, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tips for Increasing Social Media Followers
- Refining Your Social Media Use
- Maintaining Professionalism in a Social World
- Social Media Q&A